Chris J Mears
I'm a Data Scientist / Data Engineer with experience in Python, Machine Learning, SQL, and Tableau.
- Bachelor of Science, Communication Systems Management (2003)Ohio University, Athens, OH
- Data Science Career Track, Data Science (April 2020 cohort)Springboard, Online550+ hours of hands-on curriculum, with 1:1 industry expert mentor oversight, and completion of 2 in-depth capstone projects. Mastering skills in Python, SQL, data analysis, data visualization, hypothesis testing, and machine learning.
- Machine Learning ‒ PyTorch, scikit-learn, statsmodels, XGBoost
- Database ‒ Relational, NoSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, GraphQL, Redis
- Cloud Services ‒ Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- DevOps ‒ Docker, CircleCI, Github, Github Actions, Gitlab, Heroku, TravisCI
- Tools ‒ bash script, git, Jira, Github Issues, numpy, pandas, scipy, Tableau, vim, VS Code
- Techniques ‒ A/B Testing, EDA, ETL, Hypothesis Testing, Interactive Data Visualizations
Data Engineer / Data Analyst (Founder)
Wandering Leaf Studios, LLC ‒ San Diego, CA (May 2018 to Present)
- Advise clients on data collection strategies and architect dashboard-driven analytics using Google Analytics and custom-built systems using Python and FastAPI.
- Architect custom data pipelines, CI/CD implementations, and robust APIs using cloud services Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Provide detailed exploratory data analysis (EDA) and data visualizations in various domains including eCommerce and federal and state legislative policy issues.
- Communicate with clients through multiple support channels (Slack, JIRA, Trello) and debug issues via email, screen-sharing, recording videos, and documentation.
Web Development Engineer II
Goodreads ‒ San Francisco, CA (February 2013 to May 2014)
- Mentored junior developers on front-end web development conventions and best practices.
Technical Co-Founder (Data Engineer)
Canned Banners ‒ San Francisco, CA (January 2009 to February 2013)
- Performed a variety of roles including software developer, systems administrator, database administrator, software architect, and cloud services administrator.
- Designed and built a scalable display ad creation SaaS platform and data pipeline using Ruby on Rails and AWS cloud services including EC2, RDS, SQS, and S3.
Software Engineer III
Cisco Systems ‒ San Francisco, CA (February 2011 to June 2011)
- Oversaw the project to refactor the enterprise-level Cisco Eos media platform, which optimized front-end delivery and cross-browser compatibility.
Contract Web Developer
Cisco Systems ‒ San Francisco, CA (January 2010 to August 2010)
- Coordinated the front-end internationalization (i18n) effort and worked with senior developers to implement custom text replacement in the Cisco Media Solutions Group.
Front-end Web Developer
Foodbuzz, Inc ‒ San Francisco, CA (September 2008 to August 2009)
- Led front-end web development for food social media start-up.
Information Technology Manager
Wine Institute ‒ San Francisco, CA (June 2005 to September 2008)
- Continuously improved non-profit’s IT infrastructure with a minimal budget.
- Migrated the main member database, rebranded and reorganized the website, and managed the network, asset management, security, and documentation.
Telecom Specialist II
Progressive Insurance ‒ Cleveland, OH (June 2003 to March 2005)
- Provided Tier 2 network support for all United States remote offices, including daily interaction with phone carriers such as AT&T and MCI Worldcom.
Project Assistant (Intern)
NCR ‒ Dayton, OH (June 2002 to August 2002)
- Developed and managed projects involving the deployment of a remote access Internet Virtual Private Network (IVPN) solution for the company’s remote workers.
Web Developer (Intern)
BAE Systems ‒ Alexandria, VA (June 2000 to August 2001)
- Collaborated corporate web team to deliver ColdFusion web applications for the U.S. Navy (AEGIS), Defense Energy Support Center (DESC), and corporate inter/intranet.
- Rescue dog owner 🐶
- Tea, coffee, and craft beer enthusiast 🍵☕️🍺