Chris J Mears
Iʼm a Data Engineer with a focus on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Owner, Wandering Leaf Studios, LLC
San Diego, CA / Remote ‒ May 2018 to Present
- Advise clients with varying technical skill on technology strategies which fit their goals and budgets through process-oriented workflows.
- Deliver websites, applications, and cloud infrastructure solutions, including serverless APIs, eCommerce implementations, internal tools, CI/CD, DevOps, and deployment automation.
- Support clients via process-oriented workflows to reproduce, troubleshoot, and solve technology issues by email, screen-sharing, videos, and documentation.
Web Development Engineer II, Goodreads
San Francisco, CA ‒ February 2013 to May 2014
- Developed the ground-up redesign of the cross-browser and cross-device compliant mobile website which had ~17.6 million monthly unique visitors.
- Mentored junior co-workers on front-end (HTML & CSS) conventions and best practices.
- Assisted the Android Kindle product team to quickly integrate a prototype search feature.
Technical Co-founder, Canned Banners
San Francisco, CA ‒ January 2009 to February 2013
- Designed and built a scalable display ad creation SaaS platform using Ruby on Rails and Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud services (including EC2, RDS, SQS, and S3).
- Developed a scalable and easily deployable PHP-based dynamic display ad framework.
- Performed a variety of roles including software developer, systems administrator, database administrator, DevOps, solutions architect, and customer support.
Software Engineer III, Cisco Systems
San Francisco, CA ‒ February 2011 to June 2011
- Oversaw the project in the Cisco Media Solutions Group (CMSG) to refactor the enterprise-level Cisco Eos media platform so that it would be more cross-browser compatible and usable on 100+ custom-designed websites.
Contract Web Developer, Cisco Systems
San Francisco, CA ‒ January 2010 to August 2010
- Coordinated the front-end internationalization (i18n) effort, which included documenting more than 300 strings.
- Communicated with Java and PHP developers to implement custom text replacement functionality.
Front-end Web Developer, Foodbuzz, Inc
San Francisco, CA ‒ September 2008 to August 2009
- Led standards-driven front-end development for food social media start-up.
Web and IT Manager, Wine Institute
San Francisco, CA ‒ June 2005 to September 2008
- Continuously improved non-profit organization with a minimal budget in the areas of the website, database, network, device and asset management, security, and documentation.
- Triaged and supported non-technical co-workers to solve computer and network issues.
Telecom Specialist II, Progressive Insurance
Cleveland, OH ‒ June 2003 to March 2005
- Provided Tier 2 network support for all United States remote offices, including daily interaction with phone carriers such as AT&T and MCI Worldcom.
Project Assistant, Global Network Services (Intern), NCR
Dayton, OH ‒ June 2002 to August 2002
- Developed and managed projects involving the deployment of a remote access Internet Virtual Private Network (IVPN) solution.
Intranet Applications Development (Intern), BAE Systems
Alexandria, VA ‒ June 2000 to August 2001
- Collaborated corporate web team to deliver ColdFusion web applications for the U.S. Navy (AEGIS), Defense Energy Support Center (DESC), and corporate inter/intranet.
- Ohio University, Athens, OHBachelor of Science, Communication Systems Management
Tools & Services
- Database & Caching ‒ GraphQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, DynamoDB, MongoDB, Redis
- eCommerce ‒ Stripe, Braintree, Big Commerce, Shopify, Squarespace
- Services ‒ Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Git / Github, Heroku, Now / Zeit, DigitalOcean
- Project Management ‒ Jira, Trello, Github Issues, Notion
- Frameworks ‒ Node.js, React, Express, Serverless, jQuery, Ruby on Rails, Jekyll, WordPress
A free and open-source API for public information on breweries, cideries, brewpubs, and bottleshops.
- Remote & distributed team evangelist 🏠
- Rescue dog owner 🐶
- Tea, coffee, and craft beer enthusiast 🍵☕️🍺